This video course focuses on the types and causes of pain as well as the methods of pain treatment.
- Pain is a personal experience that is determined by biological, psychological, and social factors
- Pain usually serves an adaptive role, and may have adverse impact on function, social, and psychological well-being
- While acute pain usually diminishes over time and responds to treatment, chronic pain persists beyond expected healing time and despite treatment
- Other differences between acute and chronic pain include treatment, prognosis, medications, a person’s role, social support, and a mental health/substance use component
- The onset of chronic pain can be both emotional and physical