This course offers a general introduction to providing medications to address opioid use disorder (OUD) and is intended for all audiences. It will help readers understand key facts and issues related to providing FDA-approved medications used to treat OUD.
The course will address:
- The public health crisis related to opioid use
- The benefits of OUD medications vs. no treatment
- Defining those who are allowed to prescribe and under what conditions
- Federally certified, accredited opioid treatment programs (OTPs)
- Parameters on administration of OUD medication
- Barriers that contribute to the underuse of medication for OUD